The world is now operating in the new normal so businesses have evolved in order to protect everyone. Now, GrabCar is back in Bacolod in order to provide us with comfortable and exclusive transportation to our destination. One of the changes that they implemented is the GrabCar cashless payments as a safety protocol to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Here’s how to use the GrabCar cashless payments with ease and avail of their rides any day of the week.
GrabCar Cashless Payments with the GrabPay Wallet
But first things first.
In my previous post, Why Do I Book a GrabCar When I Have My Own Car?, I have mentioned that GrabCar only accepts cashless payments for contactless transactions. This protects their drivers as well as the passengers as we still face the threat of Covid-19.
That means you cannot hail a GrabCar if you do not go the cashless way. No matter the ton of cash you are carrying, a GrabCar will not give you a ride because that is against their policy.
However, there are those who are wary about topping up their GrabPay Wallet or do not know how.
So the first thing that we have to discuss is how to make sure that you have enough money in your GrabPay Wallet in order to be able to book a GrabCar ride.
Top Up Your GrabPay Wallet Easily
The GrabCar Cashless Payments includes using a linked credit or debit card. You get charged for the ride you booked. Then there is the GrabPay, Grab’s e-wallet that must be activated first so that you can top-up. While the former is good, the second option is better because Grab offers discounted fares for using GrabPay.
By the way, I just want to mention that you can use GrabPay to pay for other Grab services, like GrabFood.
There are several ways with which you can top up your GrabPay Wallet. And this is how you do it.
How to Top Up
These are the initial steps to top up your virtual wallet with Grab.
- First, open the Grab app.
- Click on ‘GrabPay Wallet’.
- Go to ‘Cash In’. Click this and you will find the different ways of adding money into your wallet.
GrabPay Wallet Cash-in
There are several ways you can use to add money into your GrabPay Wallet. The amount will depend on how much you can afford. I would advise you to have at least P500 there so that you can use it for a round-trip fare. Distances in Bacolod City are not that much so P500 can already bring you to several destinations.
This amount might also be the comfortable limit for you as you try this new service.
In the app, you will find the different accredited financial institutions you can access for your virtual cash.
- E-wallets with Instapay, such as GCash or Paymaya. Inversely, you can send money from your GrabPay Wallet to GCash and Paymaya for free.
- Online banking with Instapay. Banks in the list are BDO, BPI or BPI Family, Metrobank, Security Bank, or Unionbank. You can also send money from your GrabPay to your bank account.
- Linked bank account. For now, GrabPay accepts BPI and Unionbank accounts.
- Visa or Mastercard Credit cards
- In-Store. You will have to physically visit any 7-Eleven, SM Business Center, or Cebuana Lhuillier branches.
The balance transfer is the “Send” button on the app.
Balance transfer is like the concept of pasaload for mobile phone load. A friend or family member with a GrabPay Wallet can send some load to you in order for you to book a GrabCar Ride.
To pasa or transfer some of your load click “Send”, then you will be asked to enter a phone number or a saved contact. If your peer must have a Grab app and GrabPay activated. You then enter the number of the recipient that is linked to the Grab app.
Values can vary and there are no charges for transfers within the app.
How to Use the GrabCar Cashless Payments
Now that you have some money in your GrabPay Wallet, you can start using that to book a GrabCar ride. Here’s what to do.
- Open the Grab app and click on “Car”. Just “Car”.
- Before you can make a booking, you will have to click “I accept” on the digital waiver form. Please be honest – it is for the driver’s and your safety. You cannot choose the vehicle though. The car will then be randomly picked by the system based on your location.
- Next page is the “Where to?” This is the form you have to fill up for your destination.
- Then you “Confirm pick up”. It is here that you can describe your pick-up location.
- The app will present you with two GrabCar cashless payment options: GrabCar (GrabPay) or GrabCar (Credit/Debit Card). The fare between the two options is different with the GrabPay offering a lower rate. Click on your desired payment scheme.
- You will then get a notification that your ride is on its way to your current location. In that message, you will get the driver’s name, photograph, car description, plate number, and color. That is why GrabCar is so safe. You can then chat with your driver if further instructions are needed.
Of Ratings and Tippings
Ratings are very important for the Grab drivers because their performances are being monitored by the company. They are very careful to serve their passengers and even go out of their way to help.
So please remember to give a good rating to them.
But it is also ok to give honest reviews. This is not being made public anyway. This is one way to help a driver improve his or her service. Be it for a cleaner car or a more friendly interaction with their passengers.
In the new normal, the tipping system is also cashless. When you submit your rating, you have the option to include a tip. There are pre-programmed tip amounts or you can just type in any amount you are able to give.
Remember, you need to wear face masks and face shields while in the car. That is a requirement for your and the driver’s safety. This is the new normal so let’s watch out for each other.